All rights reserved.
Copyright © 2012 St. Georges Cemetery Trenton Ontario
History Of The Cemetery
     St. George’s cemetery is a beautiful Pastoral setting created for friends and family members to visit and reflect on loved-ones who have passed away. A cemetery is a history of people, a perpetual record of yesterday plus a sanctuary of peace and quiet today.

     Originally, the church yard was used as a cemetery. It was dedicated for cemetery purposes by Bishop John T. Lewis on September 7, 1874. Care had to be taken where people were buried since a shed for protecting the horses was built at the back of the church the year before.

     In 1984, a university student, Susan Mountford (now Rolf), was hired to research and list all the names of people who were buried in the grounds around the church. Then the stones that were in good enough shape were grouped at opposite ends of the church property with some being mounted in small walls. Later, in 1990, the names were typeset and printed by Kerrigan Almey, a sixth generation grandson of Captain John W. Meyers. It is framed and mounted on the wall in the church.

   Early in his ministry, 1889, Rev. Armstrong saw the need for a larger burial area and arranged for the purchase of seven acres of land in Murray Township, just west of town overlooking the Murray Hills. Also, some people were getting concerned about the number of deceased buried there who had died during an infectious epidemic. The last burial was in 1900. The land chosen was part of Asa J. Hills’s farm. Asa, a Quaker, died in 1887 and was buried on his land. His widow, Pheobe, however, had always wanted to be buried in an Anglican Cemetery. Her wish was fulfilled with the sale of land to Rev. Armstrong. Pheobe rests with her husband (section B, stone 103) in St. George’s Cemetery.

     Judging from the dates on many of the stones in Section B, you might think that there had been a family burial ground there prior to the sale of the land but assurance was given by Mr. Ralph Hill that only his grandfather, Asa Hill, was buried there previous to the sale. In 1898 a mass burial took place in St. George’s Cemetery. A train filled with Canadian immigrants derailed with a great loss of life at the base of 2nd Dug Hill Road, which goes by the cemetery. For many years there was a marker to those who died was visible in the cemetery but it has disappeared. The early history of St. George’s Cemetery was provided by Mr. Ralph Hill whose farm and apple orchards were located on the northwest corner of highway 2 and 2nd Dug Hill road. The cemetery abutted his property. The history information was recorded and donated by Dorothy James.

     During the twenties and thirties, movies were being made at Trenton. There were scenes from “Carry On Sergeant!” filmed on the hill at the cemetery. The area resembled a French landscape since it had Lombardy Poplar trees like those which were found in France. This was mentioned in the book “The Movie Years” by Peggy Dymond Leavey.
stgeorges016003.gif stgeorges016003.gif stgeorges016003.gif
Photo Album
Record Search
Contact Us
The Grounds
Mission Statement
Our History
Cemetery Home